Saturday, March 12, 2011

French Toast

I've been craving french toast for just about a month now, and I never had the time to make it or I forgot to wake up early enough to make it so everyone would enjoy it. So I made a promise that I'd get up and make breakfast this morning. Bright and early 5:30 this morning, I woke up and made this delicious french toast my brother had made once for mothers day. He got it off of "Barefoot Contessa" on the Food Network. She's one of my mom's favorite chefs on the Food Network, and I do agree her recipes are simple and amazing.  Recipe.


  • Whisk together the eggs, half & half milk, orange zest, vanilla, honey, and salt.

  • Slice up the loaf of challah bread into thick pieces, and soak them in the mix. I poured the mix into a large baking pan and soaked them there. Make sure to soak both sides!  

  • Melt a tablespoon of unsalted butter and one tablespoon of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Cook the bread until each side is brown.
  • While cooking the other pieces (I cooked 8 slices of the bread, 4 people, 2 for each), I put the already cooked ones into the oven toaster to keep warm instead of putting it in the oven. My oven is full of baking pans and stuff so thats just a hassle to use so early in the morning. Fry the remaining slices, adding more butter and oil as needed to brown them.

  • While those were keeping warm in the oven, I made some eggs! (: Simple mix of eggs, salt, and black pepper. Nothing special lol.

  • Sift the confectionary sugar on the toast with a mesh strainer. Add syrup. Cut up some juicy oranges, and thats it! (: enjoy.
I ate this for breakfast and lunch. Then my baby cousin came over and he ate it for dinner. lol. so good.

-aLeeNa

No comments:

Post a Comment